The ESR is our leading unenclosed desktop printer.
Technical specifications and accessory compatibility for printers currently shipping are detailed in the comparison chart on the Printer Overview page.
All improvements introduced were implemented to the existing line, obsoleting previous versions (with no price increases):
- The Engine was introduced during our 2012 Kickstarter campaign with five different configurations:
- E1 Tinkerer: one filament head, no heated bed, no computer
- E2 Hobbyist: one filament head, heated bed, no computer
- E3 Apprentice: one filament head, heated bed, computer - this became the standard model after the Kickstarter
- E4 Journeyman: two filament heads, heated bed, computer
- E5 Professional: four filament heads, heated bed, computer
- The ESR (Engine, Standard Resolution) name changed in 2016 to avoid confusion with the new EHR (Engine, High Resolution)
- The ESR v2 began shipping in January 2021, equipped with better motors with closed-loop feedback and quieter operation.
- As of June 2021, all units are CE marked.
Here is an explanation of the internal electronics of the ESR; click any images for larger versions:
Tablet Interface Board
Tablet Interface Board (with STM407 Motion Controller) has Internal and External Ports.
The current board, circa 2021.
The Spine Board has Axis Control Internal and External Ports.
The new board, circa 2021.
The original board, most recent revision.